Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

"Mr. M. Accelerates" by Richard Hague

Mr. M. stands at the board,
a diagram of the universe
behind him. "Do not think
it is contained," he warns,
pointing at the border
of the slate. "Indeed, it goes on,
continuing to accelerate
from its center,
which, like Nicholas of Cusa's God,
is everywhere
and nowhere."

I grip my desktop,
suddenly furious with stillness.
I want to catch up,
accelerate past the
Big Bang, get out
in front of its expansion
and ride like a surfer
the very break and plunge
of energy into matter,

hang ten into infinity,
catch up with Mr. M.,
who seems to stand still
before us in class, twirling his chalk,
but who secretly hotdogs it
high on the curl of All,
then laughs in the roar
of the Nothing or Everything
he pipelines,
out there way beyond us.

Commentary: I have the pleasure of working with Richard Hague (a two-time Ohio state poet-laureate). This particular poem is from his collection entitled "The Time It Takes Light" published by Word Press in 2004. You can find one of his works here. I hope you enjoy his poems as much as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment