Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Meditations LI

From Marcus Aurelius' "Meditations":


“Now, if it be no wonder that a man should have such and such opinions, how can it be a wonder that he should do such and such things? I will remember then, that he cannot but do as he does, holding those opinions that he does.”

This is so often forgotten: our actions flow directly out of our beliefs (about ourselves, others, and our environment). When we know that a certain person holds certain opinions, it should not surprise us when s/he acts accordingly; in fact, there is nothing else that person could do except what is in line with his/her opinions.

The corollary here is that my own opinions influence my actions, and that if I need to change my behavior, I must first change my beliefs or opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment