Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Meditations XXXXVII

From Marcus Aurelius' "Meditations":


“All things that are in the world, are always in the state of alteration. You also are in perpetual change.”

As Heraclitus wrote, "All things change, nothing remains the same." The Romans had a saying, "Vita flumen est": life is a river. This theme of continual change is common in literature. As I was thinking about this topic, many quotes came to mind. 

The thing about change is that it often happens in small increments, and so, over the short-run, we don't often notice the changes, but over the long-run, they become much more apparent. For example, if I compare myself to what I was like last year, I don't notice much difference. But if I compare myself to what I was like 10 years ago, I realize that I have changed a LOT in the past 10 years.

The only thing to do is to accept the fact of change, and to try my best to live in the moment. Change will happen, and when it does, I'll evaluate the situation then, rather than worry about it now.

Carry on!

No comments:

Post a Comment