Total Pageviews

Friday, February 15, 2013

Meditations LXII

From Marcus Aurelius' "Meditations":


“So live as indifferent to the world and all worldly objects, as one who lives by himself alone upon some desert hill.”

This is easier said than done. It fits nicely in line with Aurelius' stoic philosophy of detachment, but I question how practical it is for real living. I suppose there are some individuals who are able to live this way, and I'm sure there is something rewarding in it. But I wonder if perhaps the better message to take away from this is a more moderate one: understand the role worldly objects play in your life and your happiness (hopefully a minimal one) and recognize them for what they are: tools; without giving them too much power over you or your happiness.

On a joyous note, I have finished reading Marcus Aurelius' "Meditations", and will be posting the last 10-15 quotes over the next couple of weeks. I'm reading Kurt Vonnegut's "Player Piano" right now, and am getting a lot out of it. I think it'll be the next book I read analytically and share on the blog!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment