Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Meditations LXVI

From Marcus Aurelius' "Meditations":


“To live happily is an inward power of the soul.”

I was so excited when I read this. My best friend, Andrew, and I used to talk about this a lot. I firmly believe that the degree of happiness in our lives is determined more by our perspective and inner dispositions than by our circumstances. Of course, there are some circumstances that are beyond our control that can bring sorrow into our lives (e.g. the death of a loved one). But Andrew and I, long ago, observed that the source of most people's unhappiness in life was their own attitude and disposition toward their circumstances rather than the circumstances themselves.

I have tried, ever since, to remind myself often of this fact, and to approach the curve-balls of life with as positive an attitude as I can muster.

No comments:

Post a Comment